Voëlvlei dam reaches 12% on 14-05-2018
(calculated on 02 Apr 2018)
12% is the minimum level of the dam for water to reach the intake of the Swartland municipal treatment works. If the level becomes lower than 12%, water will have to be pumped from deeper areas of the dam to the treatment works.
23 Apr 2018:
16 Apr 2018:
WEEKLY TREND: -0.1%
Number of Swartland households using more than 20 kilolitres per month
MONTHLY TREND: +59.7%
WHAT CAN I DO?
- Cut your water use to less than 50 litres per person per day.
- Use municipal drinking water only for essential washing, cooking and drinking purposes, and only use indoors.
- Check and fix all leaks on your property.
- Adhere to all water restrictions.
- Immediately report any leaks, burst water pipes or infringements to the Municipality at 022 487 9400 or 022 487 9411
Emergency Municipal Projects :
We are now in Phase 1 of the Water Disaster Plan which entails the following emergency projects undertaken by the Municipality:
- Continuous repair of pipe bursts and leaks
- Installation of flow restriction devices at properties of high consumers
- Preparing for the pumping of water to the intake of the Municipality's water treatment works when the Voëlvlei Dam reaches the 12% level
- Engagements with all relevant authorities on the management of the Voëlvlei Dam
- Communication of water restrictions and water crisis information with the public
- Special awareness campaigns
- Action against high consumers
- Sinking of boreholes
- Monitoring of compliance with water restrictions measures by law enforcement officers
- Special water saving measures at Yzerfontein Caravan Park
Welcome to Swartland Municipality's Dedicated Water Crisis Page
20 000 litres per month will be fined
Essential Use Only
Boodskap van die Burgemeester
Tijmen van Essen
Die Voëlvlei is ons belangrikste dam, en ook die een waar ons in die Swartland-area ons water vandaan kry.
Die dam kan sak tot ongeveer 12% waarna ons nie meer toegang tot die water sal hê nie, behalwe as daar ten duurste water gepomp word..
Ontsouting, wat by Yzerfontein sal moet gebeur, is duur en sal nie die probleem kan oplos nie. Slegs besparing sal ons tot in die nuwe reënseisoen dra.
Swartland Municipality Videos
The water crisis has taken a hold on the entire Western Cape area. Swartland Municipality checked in with some experts to further investigate water as a commodity and invaluable natural resource. From engineers to civil servants and the general public - everyone weighs in on the crisis. Let's work together and ensure the sustainability of a water resources.
We have compiled toolkits, infographics, press releases, application documents and more for your convenience.
Head to our downloads page and have a look.
Latest from the Swartland Municipality Desk
Keep up to date with our newsfeed on all things water related.